Where business connectivity resiliency is paramount, Chorus’ range of layer 2 point-2-point (P2P) fibre products – namely, NGA Business Premium, HSNS Premium or HSNS Lite Fibre, are ready to help.
Unlike GPON, P2P products can be built with a diverse or redundant connection between the business site and Chorus exchange. So, if the main fibre cable is cable is accidentally cut, all traffic can be re-routed through the other one.
Layer 2 point-2-point products are ideal for large businesses that cannot afford disruption to their business.
Recent changes to our P2P products
Over the past year or so, we have made a number of changes to our layer 2 range of P2P products. To summarise:
NGA Business Premium (Enhanced Bitstream 4)
In 2020 we:
This year we have:
HSNS Premium and Lite Fibre
Last year we:
This year we have:
- Extended the support for HSNS Fibre Media Converters through to August 2024.
- Reinforced and recommended HSNS Fibre Glass for all future orders.
- To comply with Geographic Consistent Pricing (GCP) legislation – we announced:
- All HSNS Premium circuits will be priced at ‘UFB’ zone.
- All HSNS Lite Fibre circuits will be priced at ‘Zone C’.
- HSNS Tail Extension Services pricing simplified
- Current extended fibre monthly hop charges will be discontinued and replaced with a new Extended Fibre monthly charge of $1,425.00 that will apply only to circuits where the customer site is more than 40 kilometres from the servicing Ethernet node.
HSNS Premium Glass and HSNS Lite Fibre Glass will continue to be available products. HSNS Premium and Lite Fibre are the only P2P Business Fibre products we offer in RoNZ.
Frequently asked questions:
Q1: Is NGA Business Premium (Enhanced Bitstream 4) still the lifecycle replacement for HSNS Premium?
- It is but HSNS Premium continues to be popular across the country so hence it plays an important part of the Chorus premium point to point Business fibre product suite.
- NGA Business Premium is available in Chorus UFB and other LFC areas only – not in RoNZ, as per our 22 April 2021 update.
- HSNS Premium is available nationally so it is also the only premium point to point Business fibre product we offer in RoNZ.
Q2: If either NGA Business Premium or HSNS Premium are grandfathered in the future, when will we receive formal notification and an outlined withdrawal process with specific dates and migration service options?
- Any future announcements that we make about these two premium point to point Business fibre products will be made in accordance with all our commercial obligations and requirements including notice periods.
- At the same time, we will provide a grandfather plan/roadmap, including product support, offer alternative solutions and any related offer(s), if and as needed, and/or relevant.
- NB These FAQs have been added our existing FAQs on our Service Provider website
NGA Business Premium NID support
We will continue to support all NGA Business Premium NIDs until 1 December 2022.
After 1 December 2022 we will only support NGA NIDs on a best-efforts basis. As such we encourage customers with NGA Business Premium NID connections to migrate to the NGA Business Premium Glass service by 1 December 2022 to ensure product support continuity.
Here is a table that summarises the current NGA Business Premium and HSNS Fibre products:
Should you have any questions, please contact your Chorus account team.