Supporting households with no access to broadband.
From 25 March 2020 New Zealand entered into “COVID-19 alert status 4’ closing all education facilities for at least 4 weeks with the likelihood to extend further. To support the education of students in need, Chorus has teamed up with the Telecommunications Forum (TCF) and the Ministry of Education (MOE) identifying households where students currently do not have access to a broadband connection.
This is a unique opportunity for our industry to work together to support these households by connecting them to broadband so these students can continue to learn.
Get the latest update here
Getting on board and collaborate
If you would like to participate with this offer, here are the two steps:
Sign and return the Offer Letter to Chorus by 30 April 2020;
- Enter into a contract with the MOE COVID-19 Response – Education Equitable Internet Access at Home programme.
Once you have completed both step 1 and 2, Chorus will:
- Provide you with the reference list containing qualifying households. This list relating to this offer is for your guidance only and to work with MOE to connect these households and not to be used for any other marketing purposes.
How will this work
- Participating retail service providers will work with MOE to connect qualifying households. Please refer to the connection process diagram in our related documents.
- Chorus will provide the broadband access on the best intact broadband infrastructure in place – fibre if already installed, VDSL if no fibre is installed, and ADSL if no VDSL is not an option. Please note, Chorus expects most of this broadband to be provided over the VDSL/ADSL broadband network.
- Retail service providers will qualify for credits if they connect eligible households (as defined by a Reference list supplied by Chorus) to our 100/20Mbps NGA plan or above (where an ONT already exists and can be connected remotely) or the best available copper broadband (where fibre cannot be connected remotely) between 1 April and 31 May 2020 (connection period) and have placed orders in accordance with the Ministry of Educations COVID-19 Response programme.
- Chorus will pay monthly credits on each active connection to qualifying households for up to 6-months between 1 April 2020 and 31 December 2020 (offer period) or until that household disconnects or downgrades (fibre only), whichever comes first.
Please note: any price changes through the offer period will be reflected in this offer. First month includes intact connection fee. a remote connection should be considered before any other connection type. Credits for exchange visit or site visit are to be agreed by Chorus.
Chorus will monitor active connections throughout the offer period in accordance to the terms of the offer.
How do I sign up?
If you are interested and would like to participate or have any other queries please contact your Account team.