Today we are kicking off a consultation process on the future fibre portfolio. The scope of this consultation is bitstream 2 consumer and business plans, and we are keen to get your views on how we can improve our offering for mass-market. This consultation will run for 3 weeks and closes COB Thursday 29 July.
We’ve built a world class network and, as an industry, have done a fantastic job of connecting customers to fibre providing an exceptional customer experience and increasing the speed they consume to support NZ’s rocketing bandwidth demand.
We continue to see rapid increases across the average connection speeds in New Zealand and believe the market will expect continued improvement going forward. It's vital that we continue to adapt our services to ensure we stay ahead of the curve and are able to meet growing demand.
Why are we discussing this now?
- Average Connection Speed is increasing rapidly.
- We believe that the market will expect continued improvement.
- Global broadband speeds have improved since 2017 causing NZ to fall in the Ookla speedtest ranking from 14th in 2017 to 23rd today.
- 1 January 2022 marks the implementation of the new regulatory regime for fibre services. While the 100/20Mbps is fit for purpose as an “anchor service”, we think the mass market will require faster speeds in the coming years - and our network is more than capable of supporting this.
How might this change our core fibre product suite?
- We see regular product portfolio changes to keep the fibre portfolio in line with end customer expectations.
- Chorus started this with the Accelerate range in 2014 and proposes to keep this regular improvement cycle.
- Although having the mass market on the Gig speed would keep well ahead of consumer demand for the foreseeable future, we feel this would be excessive for the mass market at this stage and would remove an easy upsell path for those customers.
We'd like your feedback
Today we are kicking off a consultation process on the future fibre portfolio which will close COB 29 July. This covers bitstream 2 consumer and business plans, and we are keen to get your views on how we can improve our offering for mass-market.
We’re particularly interested in understanding:
- How many fibre products you feel you are likely to market in both the consumer and business segments?
- Where you feel these need to be positioned from 2022 out to 2026 for fibre to compete in the entry level, mass & premium segments?
As a first step in our consultation with you, we will be hosting an all RSP meeting on Thursday 15 July. This will be held virtually through Zoom. If you are interested in attending, please email Roxinne McCord by COB Tuesday 13 July.
For any queries, please contact Roxinne McCord.